Staff at the local travel agents will never recommend any where that they are going on holiday to me and my family. This is because they know about our track record for holiday disasters.
These are those I recall off the top of my head, in no particular order.
- Andros the sinking pedalo, when we are rescued by a speed boat
- Ibiza lilo adventure, when Tim floats out to sea and Phil has to scramble over a rough sea bed to save him
- Majorca: the Thomson Dream nightmare, planes are grounded because of a volcano and we endure a 48 hour journey home by boat and coach. The boat is over crowded and there are no cabins left, or so they tell us……
- Grand Canaria, thieves who stole a camera and cash from our coffee table, while we were in the same room
- The Hotel California experience, trapped in LA by Qantas grounding all planes in October 2011
- Florida, losing a 9 year old daughter in Church Street
- Dalyan, an earthquake and a very near miss by a lightning strike
- Egypt Nile Cruise, the holiday that never was due to the coup and playing the waiting game to get a refund from the travel agent
- Fiji, evacuated from Bounty Island in a cyclone. This was the only time on our RTW trip that the FCO contacted us.
> To: coral
> Subject: Tropical Depression affecting Fiji
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:51:20 +0000
> Dear British Citizens,
> A severe flood warning remains in force for major rivers, streams and low lying areas of Western Viti Levu This has caused major flooding and has closed roads paticularly in Nadi Town and left both locals and tourists stranded.
> Should you wish to seek urgent consular assistance or know off any british nationals in need of urgent assitance please do not hestitate to contact us on the telephone number (679)3229100 or (679)3304746.
> In light of this adverse weather conditions, we will be grateful if you can confirm yuor safety and well being in Fiji. The Consular team would like you to monitor the latest situation on the Fiji Meteorological Service website: (www.met.gov.fj) or http://www.ukinfiji.fco.gov.uk for further update.
> Kind regards
> Consular Team.
Of course this won’t stop us travelling. Off to Dalyan again in 2 weeks time. The mission to take Mom to all the places she loved, begins.
PS just back from Dalyan. We had another earthquake. This prompted us to recall other holiday disasters….
10. The shoe bomber incident which meant we could not bring the wine we had bought in Kefalonia back to the UK. We sold it around the pool and gave it to the reps.
11. The hurricane in Kefalonia that kept us in the hotel all day. I love storm watching so this was a treat for me but lots of moaning from others that they couldn’t sunbathe or use the pool.